Welcome

Glass Onion Bead Company was founded in 1990 by husband and wife team David Johnson and Debbie Austin-Johnson. While starting out as a stained glass studio, we have evolved into a bead store with the largest selection in Northeast Wisconsin. We offer a wide variety of classes with award winning bead instructors.

Monday, May 27, 2013

HEROS

Memorial Day means a lot of different things to a lot of different people.  To some, it is the first big weekend of the summer.  Time to have a cookout, celebrate with friends, and a day off of work.  To others, it is a day of reflection and sadness for the loss of a loved one who made the ultimate sacrifice.   So many of us forget that this is the real reason for the holiday.  I had an uncle who died in World War II.  His name was Flavian Schnese and he died in a battle just two days before the war was over. 
This is my uncle Flavian with my grandparents.  (I know you are probably wondering who would name their son Flavian.  Well, the same people who named another son Halarian.)  I remember my grandma riding in the Gold Star Mother's Car in the Memorial Day Parade.  I never really understood the sacrifice these mother's made.  Now that I have kids of my own, I cannot imagine their pain. Uncle Flavian is buried in France along with thousands of other soldiers.  Although he is far away, he will never be forgotten.
My Dad was also a soldier.  He, too served in WWII, stationed in New Guinea, Philippines, Hawaii and Japan.  He was in The 33rd Division, Anti Tank.  He served with three of his brothers.  The day the war ended, my dad took down a Japanese flag and all the men in his division signed it.  It was one of my father's most cherished souvenirs.  It hung on his wall for years and now it hangs on mine.   The freedoms these men provided us should never be taken for granted. We continue to enjoy these freedoms because of the men and women in the military who are still serving and protecting us to this day.
I hope we never forget to teach our children and grandchildren about the true meaning of this weekend.  Put out your American Flag. Take your kids to a parade.  Thank a Vet.  We would not have the country we live in, if it were not for them.
My Dad, John Vosters on 12-12-1943, stationed in Hawaii.  
(No clue about the dog.  Just found this picture and sadly, He's not here to ask)

words for the day.....
We can't all be Heroes because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by. 

No comments:

Post a Comment