Welcome

Glass Onion Bead Company was founded in 1990 by husband and wife team David Johnson and Debbie Austin-Johnson. While starting out as a stained glass studio, we have evolved into a bead store with the largest selection in Northeast Wisconsin. We offer a wide variety of classes with award winning bead instructors.

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Addicted to Tin

I am an addict.  I am not ashamed to admit it.  I am addicted to tin.  Tin cans.  Tin signs.  Tin lunch boxes.  Tin toys.  If it's tin, I want it.  Now some people may think this is a bad thing.  But I don't.  There are much worse things than being an addict.  For instances,  I could be a hooker.  See...much worse.  No, just a Tin Addict.

One of my favorite things to make are pins and brooches.  I like to work the image on the tin into the design.  I think this adds interest to the piece. I started making my recycled spools quite a few years ago,  People at art shows would say "Oh, old film canisters" or "Are these old thread spools?"  No, I shape the the tin from old signs and cans into cylinders and rivet them with old coins.  That's when i get a quizzical look.
I love working with tin.  The pattern is already there for you.  Call me lazy, but I think that is one of the many benefits of using tin, besides the inexpensive price.  I love to scour local thrift shops, searching for tins with small patterns or unusual lettering.  Keep your eyes out, rummage sales, flea markets and who knows...you could become an addict too!
 


words for the day....
What you put up with, you end up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment